The first Air National Guard Unit to be organized in Maine was the Headquarters,101st Fighter Group, which was a component of the 67th Fighter Wing with Headquarters at Logan Airport, Boston, Massachusetts. The 101st Fighter Group was federally recognized on 4 February 1947 with station at Camp Keyes, Augusta, Maine. Additional units of the 101FG were organized and federally recognized on 5 February 1947 and stationed at Dow Air Force Base, Bangor, Maine. These units were:
132nd Fighter Squadron
201st Air Service Group
201st Air Service Group, Det. A
132nd Weather Station
Command transferred to Continental Air Command
Reorganization into a Wing-Base in
order to standardize the Guard units with their active duty counterparts.
This provided for additional supporting Medical, Service, Transportation and Base Operating elements.
The newly organized support elements were eliminated from the 132nd Fighter Squadron and personnel were transferred into the following newly activated squadrons
101st Maintenance Squadron February 1950
101st Supply Squadron
101st Motor Vehicle Squadron
101st Communications Squadron
101st Air Police Squadron
101st Food Service Squadron
101st Installation Squadron
Called to active service for a period of 21 months to serve in the Korean Conflict.
Unit was inactivated for the remainder of their 21 months
To facilitate returning Air National Guard Units each state created a Headquarters. Maine State Headquarters, Camp Keyes, Augusta was organized and federally recognized on 19 March 1952
21 months after the 101st had been ordered to active duty the units were returned to state control.
The first nurses were assigned to the Maine Air National Guard
Responsibility for training and inspection of the ANG was transferred from the Continental Air Command to the Air Defense Command.
The 101st Fighter Group was released from its duty on 15 April 1956 in New Hampshire and reassigned and reactivated in the State of Maine.
101st Fighter Group reorganized into the Double Deputy system of Command and Management.
Air Defense Command reorganized its Continental Air Defense forces to a numbered Air Force/Air Division Organization.
The 101st Air Defense Wing was assigned to the 36th Air Division located at Topsham AF Station, Maine and to Headquarters, First Air Force located at Stewart Air Force Base, New York.
A reduction in aircraft from 25 to 18
The 101st USAF Dispensary became the 101st USAF Clinic.
KC135s were assigned to the unit and the gaining command was changed from Air Defense Command (ADC) to Strategic Air Command (SAC)
The Wing along with all other Air Guard Units, underwent
reorganization into the Tri-Deputy organizational structure.
First ANG unit to host a Tanker Task Force.
Selected Units mobilized in support of Desert Storm
Gaining Command changed from SAC to Air Mobility Command (AMCE)
Northeast Tanker Task Force (NTTF) began operation.
The 101st stands as one of the most recognized and decorated Air National Guard units A review of our detailed history and accomplishments proves that the Maine Air National Guard not
merely survived evolution and change, but has become a streamlined
model of efficiency and effectiveness for the entire Air Force and