Among the first units that created the history of the 101st Air Refueling Wing were:
132nd Fighter Squadron
201st Air Service Group
201st Air Service Group, Det. A
132nd Weather Station
December 1948 - Command transferred to Continental Air Command
October 1950 - Reorganization into a "Wing-Base" in order to standardize the Guard units with their active duty counterparts. This provided for additional supporting Medical, Service, Transportation and Base Operating elements.
January 1951 - The newly organized support elements were eliminated from the 132nd Fighter Squadron and personnel were transferred into the following newly activated squadrons
101st Maintenance Squadron
101st Supply Squadron
101st Motor Vehicle Squadron
101st Communications Squadron
101st Air Police Squadron
101st Food Service Squadron
101st Installation Squadron
February 1950 - Called to active service for a period of 21 months to serve in the Korean Conflict.
February 1952 - Unit was inactivated for the remainder of their 21 months.
March 1952 - To facilitate returning Air National Guard Units each state created a Headquarters. Maine State Headquarters, Camp Keyes, Augusta was organized and federally recognized on 19 March 1952.
November 1952 - 21 months after the 101st had been ordered to active duty the units were returned to state control.
June 1956 - The first nurses were assigned to the Maine Air National Guard.
July 1960 - Responsibility for training and inspection of the ANG was transferred from the Continental Air Command to the Air Defense Command.
December 1960 - The 101st Fighter Group was released from its duty on 15 April 1956 in New Hampshire and reassigned and reactivated in the State of Maine.
September 1964 - 101st Fighter Group reorganized into the Double Deputy system of Command and Management.
April 1966 - Air Defense Command reorganized its Continental Air Defense forces to a numbered Air Force/Air Division Organization. The 101st Air Defense Wing was assigned to the 36th Air Division located at Topsham AF Station, Maine and to Headquarters, First Air Force located at Stewart Air Force Base, New York.
September 1967 - A reduction in aircraft from 25 to 18.
April 1973 - The 101st USAF Dispensary became the 101st USAF Clinic.
April 1976 - KC135s were assigned to the unit and the gaining command was changed from Air Defense Command (ADC) to Strategic Air Command (SAC).
October 1978 - The Wing along with all other Air Guard Units, underwent reorganization into the Tri-Deputy organizational structure.
August 1979 - First ANG unit to host a Tanker Task Force. AUG 1990 - Selected Units mobilized in support of Desert Storm.
June 1992 - Gaining Command changed from SAC to Air Mobility Command (AMCE)
September 1994 - Northeast Tanker Task Force (NTTF) began operation.
The 101st stands as one of the most recognized and decorated Air National Guard units A review of our detailed history and accomplishments proves that the Maine Air National Guard not merely survived evolution and change, but has become a streamlined model of efficiency and effectiveness for the entire Air Force and National Guard.